Teachers’ Workshop: Educating the Underprivileged Child
To provide teachers with tools and practical skills needed to be effective at teaching underprivileged children and promoting participatory learning.
Date: Saturday, February 27th, 2010
Time: 8:30AM – 5:00PM
Location: Hope Integrated Academy, Kyetume, Masaka
Participants: Primary and Secondary School Teachers
Objective: To provide teachers with tools and practical skills needed to be effective in teaching underprivileged students. It’s a way of helping teachers get to understand the lives of the disadvantaged children in their classrooms, the hardships they undergo, and how the teacher can appropriately support their learning experience while being sensitive to the special needs of these children. It will also help the teachers share positive teaching experiences, express their concerns/challenges and propose possible solutions. Prior to the workshop, URF will collect a survey of ideas from students on issues pertaining to their education and highlighting key things they would wish their teachers to pay attention to.
|9:00am – 10:30am
||Session 1:Effective Teaching Pedagogies. Explore use of available technologies and teaching aids
|10:30am – 11:00am
||Break – Networking
|11:00am – 12:30am
||Session 2: Participatory Learning (Student-driven learning)
|12:30pm – 1:00pm
||Report from students (
– what we want from our education;
– our experience with teachers;
– what our teachers need to know;
– how we think teachers could help us learn better)–Discussion
|1:00pm – 2:00pm
|2:00pm – 3:30pm
||Session 3: Educating the Underprivileged Child – understanding the situation of the poor child; accommodations to be made; etc
|3:00pm – 4:00pm
|4:00pm – 5:00pm
||Session 4: Teaching Experience Panel.
– Discuss challenges teachers face teaching in poor rural schools and suggest solutions.
-Surviving as a teacher in a poor school
-Professional development and networking
Student Survey – to be conducted at beginning of term 1, 2010
- Why I value an Education – what difference is it making in my life?
- What I want to get from my Education
- The situations in my life that prevent me from concentrating in class and from doing well on exams
- My biggest challenges or struggles in school
- I wish my teachers would know that: …..
- Things my teachers could do to help me learn better and do well on exams
- Who is my role model?
- Things teachers have said or done to me that hurt me or annoyed me or that were not appropriate