After School Program
The supplemental tutoring and academic enrichment programs target students from under-performing rural schools to provide supplemental educational services outside of school hours, especially for the lowest-achieving students.
Hope Integrated Academy runs a need-based after-school program to provide opportunities for primary and secondary level students from the area who attend other local schools to receive tutoring and home work help. The program runs in the evenings and on weekends. Students can receive extra help to supplement what they learn from their schools. The library and computer center are open to students in this program. They can use books and computers to do homework. The majority of the local schools lack these resources; therefore, the program is a great resource to the community.
The community library is stocked with books for kindergarten, primary school, and secondary levels. A small collection of medical books for nursing students is also available.
Objectives and Goals
- To improve the quality of learning through providing supplemental curriculum-based tutoring.
- Provide multo-age small group informal classes
- Provide curriculum tailored to meet individual needs and diverse learning styles.
- Create remedial and enrichment opportunities for students
- Strengthen the ability of students to express understanding of the material – to be emphasized over grades and tests.
- Provide guidance on test-taking and study skills for successful learning.
- Help students develop academic and social skills.
- Prevention of learning loss.
Services and Activities Offered
- One-on-one Tutoring for low-achieving/high-risk students (help with homework, reviewing class material)
- Basic Computer classes (typesetting, word processing, spread sheets, etc)
- Internet Services (surfing, emailing, and research)
- English Lessons
- Entrepreneurial and Leadership skills
- Career guidance and counseling
- Media Services (educational videos, DVDs, Cassettes)
- Sports activities for girls and boys e.g. soccer, netball
- Music, dance, and drama
- Kids and Youth camps
- Educational Tours